Lowndes County was created January of 1830. Lowndes County was named for U.S. Congressman William Jones Lowndes. Columbus is the county seat. Other towns located in Lowndes county are Artesia, Caledonia and Crawford. Communities located in Lowndes county are Bent Oak, Billups, Flint Hill, Forreston, Kolola Springs, Mayhew, McCrary, Penns, Plum Grove, Steens, New Hope, Trinity, Wells, Whitebury and Woodlawn. Lowndes County population is approximately 60,823 and consists of 517 square miles with 11 square miles being water.
The first court house was built in 1832 and the first officers in Lowndes county were Nimrod Davis, sheriff, William Dowsing, circuit clerk; Robert D. Haden, probate clerk; Thomas O. Sampson, probate judge; Isaac R. Nicholson, circuit judge.